Restores the missing body sound to an instrument’s piezo pickup
ToneDexter is an innovative professional grade preamp that improves the sound of an acoustic instrument pickup. It can learn the difference between how an instrument sounds through a microphone and how it sounds through its pickup. Using patented WaveMap® technology, it corrects the pickup so that it sounds like the mic.
Plug your pickup into ToneDexter II and the output to the PA or your acoustic instrument amp, select a WaveMap sound and play. Your live pickup sound will match your studio mic.
There is a built in Tuner and a Boost switch for selecting extra gain for solos. You can EQ the sound and apply a notch filter to deal with any feedback issues.
It’s simple and it will change the way you play live.
Studio Sound Combined with the Convenience of a Piezo Pickup
ToneDexter II restores the rich body tone of your acoustic instrument to the pickup using proprietary digital signal processing technology combined with a pristine analog signal path.
Audio Sprockets has created a way to learn the difference between the sound coming from the pickup, and the sound coming from a microphone, placed in front of the instrument, and use that information to create a transformation called a WaveMap.
Once you have stored your mic sound into ToneDexter II, simply plug in your instrument and play.
ToneDexter II works with guitar, violin, mandolin, dobro, banjo, upright bass, and most other acoustic stringed instruments.
How ToneDexter II Works – Training
Start by plugging in both a mic and your pickup into ToneDexter II. Play your instrument for two minutes while ToneDexter builds a WaveMap to make your pickup sound like your mic. Then store the sound into one of 32 WaveMap locations in ToneDexter. Once you have it, you no longer need the mic. You can store WaveMaps of different mic positions to give you a selection of sounds when you play.
ToneDexter II Features
- Works on any acoustic instrument, with most active or passive piezo pickup systems
- Color screen, context sensitive controls and labels
- Stores 32 custom WaveMap Presets that define the sound of your instrument thru a mic
- Mute switch that activates a built-in precision tuner
- Boost switch for solos with extra gain
- Character control tailors punch and spaciousness
- Comprehensive EQ Low-Mid-Hi controls
- Intelligent feedback control
- Stereo capable Effects Loop
- Headphone Out or Stereo Line Out
ToneDexter II Specifications
- <2ms latency
- 1/4″ pickup input, 1MΩ (10MΩ w cable mod)
- Support for stereo, and dual-source pickups with switchable 9V mic bias on Ring
- 1/4″ line output with prog. level
- XLR DI output with prog. level
- Analog boost post FX-loop for no headroom loss
- XLR mic in with 48V phantom
- Firmware upgrade and Preset management via USB
- +/-15V internal supplies for pro headroom and dead quiet operation
- 6.3″ (160mm) W x 5.9″ (150mm) D x 2.3″ (58mm) H 2.0 lbs (.907 kg)